If you’re histamine intolerant, one of your symptoms could be an itchy scalp. Commercial hair products may contain ingredients such as fragrances, which can irritate sensitive skin and make itchy scalps worse. So why not make your own fragrance-free, natural hair conditioner? It’s actually a lot of fun.
This recipe comes courtesy of www.easy-aromatherapy-recipes.com. To make the hair conditioner you will need a ‘carrier oil’ to suit your hair type. If you find that this formula makes your hair feel greasy, then use grapeseed oil as your carrier oil and reduce the amount. Note: Avocado oil should only make up to 10% of your total oil hair care blend because it leaves a waxy residue that’s very hard to wash out.
- Normal Hair: Jojoba Oil, Olive Oil or Virgin Coconut Oil
- Dry, Damaged or Frizzy Hair: Castor Oil, Jojoba Oil, Olive Oil, Shea Butter or Virgin Coconut Oil
- Oily Hair: Grapeseed Oil or Jojoba Oil
- Thinning Hair: Olive Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, Avocado Oil, Castor Oil, Grapeseed Oil
- Dandruff: Sesame Oil, Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado Oil, Castor Oil, Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) carrier oil for your hair type (see above)
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) vegetable glycerin
- 1 tablespoon (8g) emulsifying wax
- 1/2 tsp (1.5ml) Vitamin E (or 2 capsules)
- 1/2 cup (125ml) distilled water
- 5 drops grapefruit seed extract
- Stir together the oil, emulsifying wax and glycerin in the top part of a double boiler, warming slowly over a low heat until the wax is melted. Remove from heat and pour in the Vitamin E.
- In a separate pot on the stove or in the microwave, gently warm the water or herbal infusion just until lukewarm. Do NOT skip this step or your conditioner will separate later on.
- Slowly pour the water/herbal infusion into the oil mixture, stirring constantly with a wire whisk until the mixture is creamy and smooth. Let the mixture cool a little so the essential oils don’t evaporate too quickly when you add them.
- Don’t worry if it doesn’t thicken immediately – it thickens as it cools down to room temperature.
- Stir in the essential oil and the grapefruit seed extract. Pour the natural hair conditioner into a clean, sterilized 8oz (250ml) dark glass or PET plastic bottle and allow it to cool before putting the lid on.
- Shake the bottle occasionally as the conditioner cools to prevent the ingredients from separating. Store in a cool, dark place.