Recipe of the Month – January
Happy New Year! Why not drink a toast to the new year with a cup of delicious ‘Spiced Green Tea with Apple’. It’s vegetarian, gluten-free, dairy-free and Paleo-friendly. This recipe makes 4 cups.
- 4½ cups pure water
- 1 large apple, sliced
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice (pimento) seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder or a 5cm (2-inch) piece of fresh turmeric, peeled and roughly sliced
- 5cm (2 inch) piece fresh ginger root, peeled and roughly sliced
- 2 teaspoons rice bran oil
- ½ teaspoon nigella blackseed
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 green tea bags
- ½ tablespoon amchoor powder or 1 tablespoon fresh green mango juice (you can vary this according to your taste)
1. Place water, apple slices, pimentos, turmeric, ginger, oil, blackseed and black pepper in a saucepan. Mix well, then place on the stove at a medium to high heat and bring to a boil.
2. When the mixture is boiling , turn down the heat and allow it to simmer for 30 minutes. Then stir in the green tea bags and let the mixture simmer for another three or four minutes until the tea infuses through it.
3. Remove the saucepan from the heat. Take out the green tea bags and stir in maple syrup, honey and amchoor powder or green mango juice. Add a small amount at first, then taste and adjust to your preference.
4. Strain tea into a teapot or other heat-proof container with a spout. Pour into serving cups.
- The leftover strained apples and ginger make a tasty hot snack.
- Keep Spiced Green Tea with Apple covered and refrigerated. Consume it within a couple of days or freeze it to enjoy later.