Recipe of the Month – April
A delicious, low histamine recipe from the book “Is Food Making You Sick?“. Gluten-free and vegan.
- 100g (2 pounds) sweet potatoes or yams, preferably with yellow or orange flesh
- 1/3 cup tightly packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter or HIT-friendly vegetable oil (e.g. rice bran oil)
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Scrub sweet potatoes, but do not peel. Place potatoes in 3 liter (3 quart) saucepan. Add enough water just to cover.
- Heat to boiling, then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 20 to 25 minutes or until tender. Drain, then cool slightly.
- Remove sweet potato skins. Cut potatoes into 1 cm (1/2 inch) thick slices.
- Heat remaining ingredients in 10-inch frypan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until smooth and bubbly. Add potatoes. Gently stir until glazed and hot.
- Cool completely before storing in an airtight plastic container in the refrigerator. To store for more than three days, freeze.