Recipe of the month – August
‘Mango Chutney with Blackseeds’ is a delicious, thick relish that can be served as an accompaniment to main meals. Blackseeds are one of nature’s ‘superfoods’.
This recipe uses only low-histamine ingredients, as listed in the book “Is Food Making You Sick?”
- 2 to 3 green mangoes, peeled and diced.
- 1 cup sugar (white or raw)
- 2 tablespoon rice bran oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of blackseeds (nigella sativa)
- 1/4 teaspoon prepared wasabi (vinegar-free)
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 teaspoons coriander seeds, dry roasted. (Or use coriander powder)
- a small knob of fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Slightly heat the oil in a large skillet that can be fitted with a lid. Add the blackseeds and stir to roast lightly.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Cover skillet with the lid and simmer on a low heat for around 10 minutes, until ingredients are soft. Stir occasionally.
- Allow to cool, then use within 2 days.
- Keep refrigerated.
- If you make a large batch, divide into serving-size portions in small plastic containers. Freeze them separately and defrost when ready to use them.